The EGG100 follows the unique design of the EGG150 analogue monitor, with the system consisting of a pair of EGG speakers and a separate amplifier and control unit designed for true nearfield use on a desktop or console surface.
The amplifier is a dual-channel 120-watt circuit and operates as a single stereo amp. Each channel has a THD+N value of 0.03% at a rating of 30W/channel, which the power supply is nominally rated at. The signal-to-noise ratio is rated at 97dB at 1W, meaning the dynamic range is 112dB at 30W.
The amplifier is equipped with a headphone amp, which is our own design using a classic Class A configuration. The power output is limited using a feed-back loop to 1W to avoid ear damage, while distortion is extremely low, so low in fact, that we can’t even measure it!
The Egg power supply is a linear unit capable of supplying clean DC voltage and current to the power rails. We have used a conservative rating to maintain good headroom and clean sound under all normal mixing conditions. In particular this means that the bass is solid and undistorted compared to most of the small monitors we have tested. Many systems may be superficially louder but there is a trade off with bass linearity which is often ‘cured’ by signal management - what you hear is not what goes to the mix bus!
We have set the input sensitivity so that a typical CD player with a -10dB nominal output will give full output with the volume control near maximum, with 20dB of headroom. This allows full pro level signals to be sent to the input without having to run the volume near zero where the channel balance is less consistent. If we increase the sensitivity then some consoles will overdrive the input with loss of headroom and potential distortion.
HF & LF Adjustment
Just like the EGG150, the EGG100’s custom amp features High-Frequency and Low-Frequency trim pots. The HF controls are designed to give absolute precision alignment of each channel and adjustment for personal taste, while LF allows adjustment for speaker location and room acoustic effects.
Frequency Response is the most common way to illustrate the performance of a loudspeaker. This plot shows the on axis 1/3 Octave response of the Egg100 at a distance of 500mm with no modification or manipulation.
The plot below shows the difference in the frequency response with EGG100 placed at a horizontal angle of 30 degrees.
- EGG-shaped passive monitor speakers made with a unique monocoque shell construction (rigid and resonant neutral)
- Near zero diffraction interference (smooth frequency response)
- No internal standing waves (greatly reduced smearing)
- Perfect bass port integration (superb transient response)
- Bass reflex speakers with 70Hz QB4 front port alignment
- Speaker effective internal volume: 14 Litres
- 25mm HF unit - sensitivity 95dB SPL for 1W at 1m
- 100mm LF unit - sensitivity 86dB SPL for 1W at 1m
- Thermal tweeter protection with automatic cut out and reset
- Custom designed Nests for the speakers to sit in with adjustable vertical alignment (allows for perfect sweet spot in both vertical and horizontal planes)
- Speaker dimensions are 35cm height x 24cm width x 23cm depth. Each speaker weighs 3.07kg
Custom-Designed Amplifier Control Unit
- Stereo active control unit – A half-U width by 2U height
- Two 30W RMS power amplifiers
- THD+N 0.03% per channel
- S/N ratio is 97dB at 1W
- Dynamic range is 112dB at 30W
- Two way passive crossover at 3.0kHz
- Our own unique-design Class A headphone amp with 1W output and ultra-low distortion
- Controls for Power, Volume, LF and HF precision trim pots (for each channel)
- Power LED and headroom indicator LED
- 2 x balanced XLR input 2 x Speakon output (2 x 2m Speakon to Speakon cable included)
- Amp dimensions are 39cm width x 31cm depth x 18cm height. The amp weighs 5.6kg